Do you know that YouTube is a very important income generator for music artists nowadays? And you can be one of them!
In this podcast, you will learn how you can make money thanks to YouTube monetisation and the use of sync licences. And you don’t even need to work more nor harder. Sounds amazing, right??
But first, if you don’t know what a sync license is, you should start > here <
What is YouTube?
It is an American video-sharing website created by three former PayPal employees in early 2005 but belonging to Google since November 2006. Google bought the site for $1,65 billion!
YouTube allows all users to create a channel, subscribe to other users, upload, view, rate, share, add to favourites, report and comment on videos.
Why is YouTube inescapable?
• It is the second most popular website in the world according to Alexa Internet, a web traffic analysis company.
• It belongs to Google! Do I need to say more?
• It is the most popular search engine for music for both pros and fans and is linked to Google Search.
• It allows artists to share their music easily.
• There is no cost to create a channel and upload videos.
• You can actually make money thanks to your videos on YouTube via advertising revenue (YouTube monetisation + sync licensing).
• Visuals play an important role and YouTube combines both sounds and visuals.
• For a music artist, a platform like YouTube can be compared to an online portfolio and is a great way to grow his fanbase.
What about YouTube monetisation?
YouTube is a very important income generator for music artists nowadays. Many artists — up-and-coming as well as major artists, are using this to increase their revenue.
The revenue generated is what we call passive income which is an income that grows over time or continues to come in without you having to do any additional work.
YouTube proposes a partner programme to every user. However, it is not only related to music and applies to all types of content: as soon as your channel reaches at least 10.000 views, you can apply for monetisation. If your application is accepted — depending on their terms and conditions, ads will be placed on your videos and you’ll get money from them.
But besides this programme, you can also increase your chances to make money on YouTube thanks to sync licensing.
You can activate this license on YouTube yourself or get a sync licensing programme. Different platforms offer this kind of services. And if you work with a music publisher or a publishing company, they will do it for you.
How does sync licensing work on YouTube?
Your tracks are fingerprinted in YouTube Content ID system. And anytime a video is uploaded with your song, YouTube will identify it, place ads on that video and pay you a share of its advertising revenue earned from Google AdSense.
In other words, you can make money whenever your music is used in a video. It applies to every scenario: whether it is a video you uploaded yourself or a video that someone else uploaded.
This means you can make money even if your song is only playing in the background of a video!
Do you use YouTube monetisation to make money? Or would you like to use it? Share your thoughts and/or experience by commenting below! 🙂